Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Wednesday Tidbits

9 comments
* There's a whole aisle at the drugstore for fake tanning products.  A whole aisle.  It's making me feel a bit alone in my acceptance of my natural skin color (or lack thereof).

* Room for toaster on the counter = toast for every meal!

* They sell Grape-Nuts here!!

* Since we're in a house now the mail comes right to our door.  No mailbox or anything - they stick it right through a slot in your door and onto the floor of your front room it goes.  This process is a lot louder than I would have expected.  If I'm home and downstairs I jump a mile when it arrives!

* Surprisingly, British English is as easy for me to tune out as German is.

* D's first encounter with the social pressures of buying and drinking beer in rounds was a bit ugly.  Obviously this is something which is going to take a while to figure out how to do without over-drinking or feeling cheap or weak.

* I got this vacuum cleaner.

* And I'm vacuuming the kitchen, because I cannot find a broom I like!  I want the broom shape typical for US brooms.  Every time I find one it's either 12 pounds (for a broom!?), or it's cheap but covered in rhinestones or pink swirls or something.  WTF Britain?  Rhinestone brooms?

9 comments:

  1. WOOOOOOOOO
    new fancy schmancy blog layout!
    love it <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! You can see where I got it at the bottom of the page!

      Delete
  2. If you want proper old fashioned homeware and ironmongery, York Supplies in Kings Heath is the place

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the tip, I will definitely check it out!

      Delete
  3. If you want proper old fashioned homeware and ironmongery, York Supplies in Kings Heath is the place

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jealous of your Grape-Nuts!

    Looking forward to hearing about the drinking etiquette.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm looking forward to figuring out the drinking etiquette...

      Delete
  5. Haha, I have the same problem with the mail being delivered. Makes me jump every time! I saw that vacuum cleaner, I think it looks so cute (clever idea!) but we ended up getting a much cheaper one from Tesco that does the job as well.
    As for the tanning products, I've not noticed it here (Scotland), but that would explain the predominance of orange people here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We had this in NJ when I was growing up so it's not an exclusively British thing.

      Delete

I love commenters!