Monday, April 22, 2013

Did I miss anything?

4 comments
We're back in Birmingham after a week away - D spent the first half at a conference in Dubrovnik while I spent it visiting friends in London.  Then I joined him in Dubrovnik for four days there and in the area.  It felt a bit wrong to be running off on vacation before our honeymoon period in Birmingham had even ended, but we wanted to take advantage of the conference to visit some places we've wanted to go for a long time.  Maybe it will just mean our Birmingham honeymoon lasts longer. :)

I dropped by the apartment between the trips to London and Dubrovnik and found at least one slug trail in the kitchen.  Ew.  I hope that doesn't happen too often.  Upon Googling I found it's not that rare a problem!  On the floor it's neither here nor there but if I find a slug or trails on the counter I might find that a little unpleasant.

Our flight came in unfortunately late last night, landing at 11pm (after a 5-hour Frankfurt layover - boy was it weird to connect there instead of going home).  At the time we booked we giddily thought about how we were going to be living in a city with an airport and that surely there'd be an easy train home even at that hour.  Alas, that was not to be.  We could have waited an hour to catch a train downtown, but then we'd be stuck downtown with no further trains out to our neighborhood.  Boo!  That's how we learned that the price of a cab for 2 home from the airport is about 32 pounds. Actually, still cheaper than 2 train tickets to Heidelberg from Frankfurt.  Woo!

We got home really late so we didn't notice until this morning that while we were away, two sections of our back garden fence had fallen into the neighbor's yard.  Apparently it was a bit windy!  We are still waiting to find out if the fence belongs to this property or the neighbor's.  It seems likely that it will be since it's on the left side as we look out from the house and that's typically the one that's yours, but it's not a hard and fast rule.  I guess this will be the first real test of how good our estate agent is.  Here's hoping he's good.

4 comments:

  1. Oh, the slugs! I couldn't believe how many and how...slimy...they were when I was in London! Some of them were HUGE. That's a bit freaky to think that one was sliming its way across your kitchen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha, they are slimy indeed! I love snails, though. I really just don't want to step on one. Today I moved the rug outside our front door and found what look like a family of baby slugs...

      Delete
  2. I found out that if you blow air on a slug/snail thing, it retracts its antennae AND its head! How cool is that? It was an accidental discovery; the slug was on the porch and I was trying to encourage it to move out the way so I blew on it and it just retracted its face.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have wanted, on occasion, to retract my face.

      Delete

I love commenters!