Wednesday, January 30, 2013

Preparations

10 comments
The lists! The only way to keep everything straight when things are going every which way. Thanks again for all the different ideas for ways to get rid of stuff. Really, I wanted to complain that I can't have a garage sale because I will forever fantasize about it as the most seller-friendly stuff-dumping method there is, but I'm psyched to have all these ideas and will hopefully not have to throw anything away!

Reading material! A friend sent us this and I'm about halfway through, and it's so far been hilarious, easy and relaxing to read, and extremely enlightening re: English behavior. I'm actually a little scared to think we could have moved there without having read it! Who knew it was bad news to introduce yourself with your name in a social setting? Or that the only way to talk to your neighbors is to do yard work at the front of your house? (But no lounging there! That's a backyard activity only!) That you should never ask someone directly where they live or work? (Already screwed that one up, but I suppose you can only expect Americans to be all aggressive like that...) LOVE the book and can definitely recommend it.

I've been sick in one way or another for the last week and a half, so it's been slow going around here, but slow going is better than none at all. I'm slowly getting through all those Turkey pictures (took exactly 999) that a couple people have mentioned hoping to see, so ...maybe in the next week or so they'll be up? :)

10 comments:

  1. Glad to see the fourth from the bottom item on the yellow list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you tossing the appliances because you don't want to move them or because you think they would be a hassle to change the plugs on? It's just a euro or tow for adaptors and if you like the appliance (and are moving stuff) you might want to re-think buying them all again in the UK: I bought my sewing machine in the UK and used it with a 1 euro adaptor for three years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. man i wish it was like that here! the FIRST QUESTION YOU GET is where do you live/work, and i'm always like STOP CREEPING ON ME.
    can't wait to viiiiiiiisssssssssssiiiiiiiiiiitttttttttttttt

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea!! I had stickie notes on everything that said "sea", "storage" or "air" when we came to Germany, and be ruthless as I brought way too much "stuff", take a look!
    http://itsabouttakingthejourney.blogspot.de/2013/01/i-brought-what.html

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your lists are not only useful, but cute! You so crafty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know, we might end up just taking everything in the apartment. D has started to get sentimental about half rotty deck chairs and toasters that can't be de-crumbed properly..... I'd like to ditch most things. Nothing in our apartment was purchased because we liked it, it was all only because it was cheap.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just two quick comments: I helped an expat to offload their items when leaving. While most things were sold and the remainder taken via freecycle, we couldn't shift the ironing board to save our lives. So maybe start early on that one. ;-)

    On G's comment--if you bring your DE electronics, easiest is to bring a DE power strip to plug them all into, then one UK adaptor into the wall for the power strip. I know expats from DE who did that, centralizing their UK appliances in the kitchen and living room on two power strips. As well, I found a lot of the little things like coffee makers to be of better quality and price in DE rather than the UK, assuming you have a means to move them easily.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm an expat book nut, and live here in Hd., so let me know if you want to unload any......

    ReplyDelete
  9. People have a surprising amount of interest in the fate of my appliances...maybe I should make a post just about them. ;) I actually don't have many.

    Julie - we are unloading some books but I don't have a way of contacting you - email me at eastie216-blog at yahoo.com and I can send you a list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your lists are fascinating to me. So colorful! (and I'm kind of a list-making nerd.)

    I'm only twenty months from my own theoretical departure, so I'll be doing pretty much the same thing in summertime 2014.

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!