Monday, July 16, 2012

Hard Times for Hausfrauen (and the Euro. And GEMA?)

6 comments
Every wall in my apartment is vibrating like this. The construction is two floors down and one apartment over, and I'd expected it wouldn't affect my life too much. Har har. Noise-canceling headphones with music in the bathroom with the fan on doesn't even cover it up. Maybe if I added blood-curdling screams of torment, that would drown it out?



In other news...the Euro is down to $1.22!! It was at $1.21 when we moved here in 2006 and had only gone up from there. I hope it doesn't go below that, but I guess it doesn't really matter so much to us right now even if it does.

In yet more news...back when Spotify was sweeping the US, I tried to install it here but could not since Germany didn't have it yet. Then I just forgot about it, but way back in March Spotify arrived in Germany. I finally remembered to install it yesterday, and it's great. I can't believe GEMA is allowing or it or they're able to pay GEMA enough or whatever is going on that is making Spotify possible, because it seems way too good that I can play anything I want any time in a country where YouTube is useless and Grooveshark was chased out. Hope it lasts! I'm enjoying the new Hot Chip right now, which I thought was going to be crappy from the one song I'd already heard via a music blog. Turns out that was just the crappiest song. Yay!

6 comments:

  1. That wall shaking shit sucks.

    Think about it this way, at least it isn't the neighbor blasting all day and night with un-GEMA-approved music. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Have you tried a combination of noise-canceling headphones and ear plugs? :-)

    My favourites are
    1. SparkPlugs/ColorPlux
    2. Hansaplast LärmSTOP Ohrstöpsel (to find in a Apotheke).
    The sound absorption is not as good, but they are softer.

    If you have clean ears, the ear plugs are reusable 3 to 10 times.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Spotify doesn't have a contract with GEMA. At some point GEMA will tire of their contract negotiations and backcharge them, which will collapse Spotify Germany overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spotify doesn't have a contract with GEMA. At some point GEMA will tire of their contract negotiations and backcharge them, which will collapse Spotify Germany overnight.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @Michael - ooh, good idea. I have some earplugs on hand, actually, but I'd forgotten about them. Things have gotten a bit quieter but I'm going to try them next time it gets out of hand!

    @Kato - I suspected something like that...bummer. When I tried to find some information all the news articles I saw were from March, with no update on the GEMA/Spotify relationship since then. I was hoping they'd worked something out! Guess I should enjoy it while I can. (I've already bought an album thanks to trying it on Spotify!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I had Spotify ages ago. I'll try it again, then. You're right about YT being useless here. Drives me crazy!

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!