Thursday, January 05, 2012

ProxTube: Don't let GEMA get you down

9 comments
My yearly music post is underway, and it might involve a few YouTube videos. Over the last couple of years, YouTube has become a minefield of sneery, finger-wagging "YOUUUU can't watch this video" moments for anyone living in Germany. Very frustrating, but I finally found a way to get around it without connecting to a VPN or browsing entirely via an IP-hiding website. There's a free Firefox add-on called ProxTube which automatically uses a proxy only long enough to let you access a video.  It's definitely made my usual internet browsing a bit more pleasant and I recommend it for those of you who use Firefox!

9 comments:

  1. After I wrote this, ProxTube went down...I'm going to have fun pretending it's because of my blog's millions of readers...;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A Pox on all their tubes, I say. But especially on GEMA.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I use anonymoX.
    https://addons.mozilla.org/de/firefox/addon/anonymox/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, GEMA, don’t let get started (I’m already heavily nauseated). I guess VPN is actually the only working solution to this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Well, ProxTube normally works and is working right at the moment. ;) It turns out that right before I posted about them, they moved to a new server and ithe switch wasn't without issues. Bad timing on my part! I hope it stays up now. I think they've been overwhelmed with interest in their app.

    Thanks for the additional suggestion, Michael!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, shows you what I know! I had no idea there were even possibilities to work around GEMA -- thanks for all the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I've stumbled onto your blog a few times now, and I just have to say THANK YOU for this tip! If I got stuck on that GEMA thing one more time on youtube I was going to lose it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. it's working again luckily! I was getting so sick of that "This video is not available in your country" message

    ReplyDelete
  9. To think I fled totalitarian China to come to Germany where some fascist company controls all the music in the country.

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!