Thursday, August 11, 2011

Sign with a crossed-out woman and child

4 comments

Recently we've had multiple guests from the US ask us what these signs are all about.  If you don't have any general idea, it appears to be a sign indicating that women and children are not allowed!  But, fear not, Germany loves women and children as much as any other country.  This sign indicates the end of the pedestrian zone!  It means that beyond this sign you're now sharing the street with cars, so look where you're going.  In a very brief search I can't find a US equivalent online, although it's possible there is one.  We don't have very many pedestrian zones, though.

4 comments:

  1. I haven't seen that one yet, but I think you are right--we don't need one in the U.S. because we don't walk as much. I think I recognize that bridge in the background.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I find it interesting that it seems that in Boston exactly the same pictogram is used for the pedestrian zone: http://maps.google.de/maps?ll=42.354781,-71.061272&spn=0.001189,0.002411&z=19&vpsrc=6&layer=c&cbll=42.354781,-71.061272&panoid=b7NLww0YExqHDUgRL6QGUg&cbp=12,53.36,,1,4.07

    Is the "mother with child"-sign used elsewhere in the US or is this one maybe an homage to the German sign?
    But apparently no crossed out one though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It definitely looks like it's taken from the European design! But yeah, I think the bit that is confusing people is the crossing out. It's standard here for ends of things but I don't remember it being used in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha, funny, I've never looked at signs like this one in that way. And, frankly, I've never thought crossed-out signs could be that misleading...

    On the other hand, who could possibly think women and children are not allowed beyond this point (unless there are a couple of lap dance bars beyond that sign ;-))?

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!