Thursday, July 07, 2011

What to do with Dickmilch!

8 comments
You may recall that long ago we purchased Dickmilch just because of the name.  It translates directly to "thick milk" but according to dict.leo, it's actually soured milk, which is not the same thing as spoiled milk.  Later I mentioned that we'd found a way to use it to make a dessert, but never talked about how it came out.  Actually, it was fantastic and now we make it every summer in berry season. It tastes like a really super delicious fancified whipped cream.  Although I linked to the recipe auf Deutsch before, I thought some of you might like to try it, so here is an English version!  We eat it straight on whole fruit instead of with blended fruit drizzled on as the recipe suggests - mainly because we don't have a blender or food processor here, but it turns out it's really nice this way.

Soured Milk Dessert

Ingredients:
4 gelatin leaves (= 1 tbsp powdered gelatin)
500 g soured milk (2 cups) (substitution ideas on Wikipedia)
100 g sugar (1/2 cup)
1 packet vanilla sugar (or try subbing 1.5 tsp vanilla extract)
Juice of 1 lemon
400 ml whipping cream (about 1.5 cups)
Berries of your choice!

Soak the gelatin sheets so they soften.  While they are softening, mix together the soured milk, sugar, vanilla sugar, and lemon juice in that order.  Take the now-soaked gelatin sheets and mix them with a very small amount of water and microwave on high for about 20 seconds, then stir until there are no more solid bits. (If using powder, follow package directions to dissolve it in water.)  If, like us, you  have no microwave, boil some water in the kettle and pour a very small amount on the gelatin, then stir.  Add the gelatin to the soured milk mix.  Whip the cream to stiff peaks.  If you are doing this by hand (like us) it helps to chill the bowl you're going to whip it in first.  Add it to the soured milk mixture and chill.  (At least 2 hours, or all day or overnight for even better results.)  You can puree your berries and "coat them over the cream like a mirror" - or you can just eat the berries with the cream on top.  Yum!

8 comments:

  1. Is it sad that I will always see the German work for thick and laugh?! Haha. No. The recipes sounds amazing! If we are ever back in Germany, I might just have to try this one out :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mich: If you're talking about American buttermilk I think it's generally sub-able, but not exactly the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just can't get past the name - it doesn't sound appetizing in either language. Unless I try to liken it to sour cream, maybe? Because that stuff's yummy. And luckily not called Dicksahne.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Brilliant - I've never got as far as thinking what to do with it because I haven't got past sniggering childishly at the name yet (see, I can't even write it). I've never had Buttermilk either but I'm guessing since they have that on the same shelf in Rewe they're different things, no? I think I'll have to give this recipe a go - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Haha, I did the exact same thing... and now I'm goggling recipes to use it up, and found this blog. I giggled all the way from the store to home and couldn't wait to show my husband "dick milk"

    I do think they're a bit different, because how they are made is different (sour milk vs. buttermilk).

    ReplyDelete
  6. MooAtU2 is on the right track! They are really very different and in some ways opposite. Butter Milk is anm oxymoron as in there is no butter (fat) at all. It's the skimmest of Skim Milk. Dickmilch needs to be made from 100% full milk with a culture added (Probida or other) and kept at a warm temperature for circa 18 hours until it thickens up a bit. I like this much better than Yogurt as its not nearly so sour.. almost sweet. Of course most people eat Yogurt for other reasons like low-fat. So stick to your Yogurt if the idea of full milk ( and I mean this in the fullest sense) is not where you're going. While on the subject of German dairy products... I am a big fan of Quark. This requires a similar preparation but you need "lab" a bacteria to turn this in to a form of cream cheese. Many Germans use this as a substitute in recipes that call for cream cheese. Both Dickmilch and Quark I use with muesli or fresh fruits etc. At one point it ( the name) stops being funny.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah, thanks for reminding me of this post. I really need to figure out what can be found in the UK as a Dickmilch substitute!

      Delete

I love commenters!