Friday, June 17, 2011

Shiny things this week

5 comments
Last night there were fireworks in Heidelberg to celebrate the 625th birthday of the University of Heidelberg.  625.  I remember us being really impressed that the Boston Common had been around since 1634.  1634 is only 377 years ago.  Europeans look at Americans a little bit derisively because we're so stupidly, easily impressed by old stuff, but it's really just as simple as this.  We don't have old stuff.  An American who's never left the US has never seen old stuff.  We used to get hyped up about anything older than 100 years even if it was nothing special, just by virtue of its oldness.  Now if we look twice at something that age, it's not because it's old but for some other reason.

Anyway, the fireworks were actually pretty good - better than the usually thrice-summerly ones.  There go your student fees, Uni-Heidelberg students. ;)  I kid, I have no idea how they funded them, but they were nice.  Sadly I have no photos, because I forgot to bring out my camera.  Instead, you'll have to make do with this rainbow I saw from the S-Bahn to Mannheim on Tuesday evening (I now feel compelled to post every rainbow photo I take just out of habit):


We haven't had a musical interlude in a while, so let's have one of those too. .... Okay, never mind.  What I wanted to post is not available in Germany.  This problem has actually gotten even worse lately, if you can believe it.  I know, I need to set up one of those browsing things where I pretend to be in the US.  It's the principle man. I shouldn't have to because these rules are mind-crushingly dumb.  #firstworldproblems

5 comments:

  1. Having a browsing thingy that lets you pretend you're in the US is an awesome way to feel better in the face of mind-crushing dumbness. "You want to deny me that video because I'm not in the US? HA! TAKE THAT! YOU HAVE DENIED ME NOTHING!" Triumphant, I tell you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always remember the first time I was in Europe. I was in the old town of Prague and the tour guide was showing us the youngest building in this part of town. It was "only" 200 years old. In the US I had never seen a building older than 100 years old. Since then I have living in an apartment that was older than the US.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The 625 of the university come into a new light when you think of the fact that most of the smaller towns in the area were founded twice as long ago. And some are three times as old.

    ReplyDelete
  4. just stumples over ur page and im from mannheim.. reading ur post let me miss this part of germany soo much :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. browsing thingy aka VPN! We got one called 'hide my ass' (classy name, I know). It's great. I rationalize using it because we still pay taxes to the US and are technically, what I'd call 'long-term visitors' in Germany. We don't need to follow their stinking copyright laws.

    p.s. Found your blog through Frau Dietz and glad I did-- love it!

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!