Monday, March 28, 2011

DDR Stamps!

6 comments

One of the more interesting things I've noticed at our big department store, Galeria Kaufhof, is that you can buy stamps there. Not stamps for postage, but stamps for collecting. Usually somewhere near the books, you can find big tubs filled with hundreds of postmarked stamps, or small sheets with various themes - animal stamps, stamps from various periods, etc. I always figured philately was more of a niche market and not something you could find in a department store. I don't collect stamps but I like to look at them in the store if I'm waiting for someone and have a little time to kill.

A while back, my husband noticed this and decided to buy me a sheet of East German stamps. You can get 50 of them for 4 EUR and some of them are pretty awesome. I love the design from that period. Here's a selection.

DDR Hippies!


I love these architectural ones, especially the bottom one with the old buildings in front of the new.


I think these Fernsehturm ones are my very favorites!



I'm not sure what I'm going to do with them now since I'm not a collector, but they're fun to look at. I actually was going to buy a sheet of Third Reich ones for my dad once, since he's one of those WWII history buffs. But, somehow, it really seemed wrong to be buying something all Hitlery like that, so I didn't. They do have those too, though.

I wonder if anyone will ever google Hitlery and find this blog.

6 comments:

  1. If I were you, I would frame my favorites and hang them on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You inspired me to google hitlery. The results made me sad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those are very cool and colorful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gems: I wonder if displaying them would make it seem like I have some personal connection with the DDR, which I do not. I just like their stamps. :)

    Jul: I did it too. I had never heard that term before. :(

    J: I'm glad you agree. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm, I don't think so. Most people are past the DDR days. Besides, stamps like this, wherever they come from are art.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Speaking of Hitlery:
    http://www.bestweekever.tv/2011-03-29/what-do-you-see-hitler-or-a-house/

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!