Thursday, September 30, 2010

How to Lose and Gain Weight Really Fast

8 comments
Just change where you shop!

I've gotten used to shopping here in Germany. If I want to try on a top, I take the L into the dressing room, and maybe even the XL if the L is looking a little small. I can sometimes squish into an M - if I wanted to go for the ultra-tight check-out-my-boobs look. Which I don't.

However, when I was back in the US, I was browsing the Target clearance racks and discovered that the L is much more L. I bought a shirt that was an M and although it is a slightly fitted cut it's all billowy like I have no waist! The medium!! The difference was really shocking.

However, I guess it shouldn't be, according to this nifty chart showing the extent of vanity sizing in the US. At Old Navy, if pants say they have a 36-inch waist, they actually have a 41-inch waist!! This isn't even exploitation of the vagueness of S, M, L, XL sizing, it's a straight-up lie.

Even Germany has vanity sizing, though, apparently. A friend who went clothes shopping in Sweden thought the sizes there - at the same chains - were smaller than here. This is just anecdotal, but it is true that the Swedes themselves are thin. I don't know how they stay that way all winter when the temptation is to go nowhere and eat lots of hot fatty foods... or is that just me? ;)

8 comments:

  1. Ooooooh, vanity sizing makes me so angry! While I was in Detroit in August, I picked up a new pair a jeans that was the same size I always wear, expecting it to be a little tight (I've piled it on).

    They were not only loose, but the proportions are COMPLETELY different from what they used to be! It especially screws things up when you try to order clothes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't even keep track of my size anymore, it varies so much with every store, but one thing that's getting to me now is the vanity sizing on shoes. Yes, shoes. I bought a pair of 41s in Paris that are too small and a pair of 40s in Berlin that are too big. Is it really that Parisian women have dainty feet and Berliners have monstrosities? And oh, yeah, what about the Adidas store, which had nothing larger than a 38?

    ReplyDelete
  3. All French sizes (no matter which kind of clothing) are considerably smaller than German sizes. Cuts are tighter too.
    Has been that way for decades though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Women's sizes are totally meaningless! I don't ever try to order from online, unless it's something like a t-shirt where there's a little wiggle room!

    ReplyDelete
  5. @sarah1976 I actually appreciate the proportions being different between different sizes. It means that there is at least one pair of jeans out there in the universe that fits me! I mean, otherwise they would all have a different hip to waist ratio than I do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. oops - I mean I appreciate them varying between brands, not sizes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't tell you how disappointed I am that you're not going for the check-out-my-boobs look. My entire worldview has been shattered.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It isn't just for adults! You should see the difference between children's clothing sizes in the US! I have a 0-3 mo outfit that finally fits him and 6-12 mo clothes that he doesn't fit into! Argh! And my 4YO fits into size 7 jammies while only wearing a size 5 pants. (And while I am ranting, WTF is the difference between 5t and 5???)

    The German sizing by every 4cm makes MUCH more sense and is fairly reliable.

    guess they are getting those babies ready early for Vanity sizing! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!