Sunday, July 04, 2010

Germany defeats Argentina!

5 comments
D amn, and I'd been all nervous.

We went to watch the game outside at a restaurant/bar. We arrived at 1:30 for a game time of 4pm, and that was just in time to claim a pretty good table. By the time the game started the area was completely packed with Germans eating salads, drinking beers, and smoking stinky Gauloises. It was wicked hot and humid, and I think the big umbrellas at the restaurant were collecting everyone's body heat. During halftime, though, it POURED rain and a lot of people got soaked.

Everyone talked about Argentina winning the whole thing and the odds I checked on line were in their favor, so I looked around and imagined all these Germans walking home all sad in their schwarz-rot-gold flags and leis.

Watching the game in a crowd is a totally different experience from watching it at home or even at home with a group. It's very tense and involving - every little thing that happens on the screen earns a reaction from the crowd and it keeps feeding itself. Huge cheers just for getting possession of the ball, nervous twitching and cigarette-lighting for losing possession, and my favorite, mocking Maradona's sad faces and the Argentine players when they put on their trademark high drama that they are hurt after THEY trip someone else. Mwa ha! People sang and high-fived strangers.

Angela Merkel was at the game too and I always love her at these games. She's usually so stiff and it's adorable when she gets all excited. (But can't really get her arms all the way up because of her jackets!) And I'm not being ironic when I say I kind of love Jogi Loew always wearing the same outfit of that other important guy next to him whose name I am always forgetting. (Yeah, even though he picked his nose on camera - check YouTube if you really want evidence. Even this is amusing because one of my teachers in Mainz also shamelessly picked his nose in front of the whole class.) On the fashion front, though, Spain's blue uniforms are really sharp, I LOVED Paraguay's stripey socks and I'm sad they're out, and I wish Croatia had made it to the World Cup with their awesome checkers. The German uniforms do nothing for me.

After the game came the standard massive street party that's been following all their wins, but this was the biggest yet. Unfortunately I've forgotten my camera every time! I'm scared to bring it now because we might lose if I have it with me. So I can't promise any future pictures either...plus, Germany might lose to Spain. It happened in the last Euro Cup. :/

I've been rooting for the Netherlands too - seems no one has been talking about them at all while they quietly kick ass. I guess if it came down to them and Germany I'd root for Germany, but feel a little bad about it!

***

On our way home from the game, we ran into a couple of (Japanese?) tourists, one of whom greeted us by raising his right hand in greeting and saying "Auf Wiedersehen!" Then he asked in English for directions to the Hauptbahnhof, which he managed to say all in one syllable. That was pretty awesome. :D Hopefully he found it because we were nowhere close!

5 comments:

  1. I'm lovin' the feeling in the streets these days.

    As for Angela being "adorable"... well, it does put a smile on my face when she shows any kind of excitement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It reminds me of a kitten trying to look mean. It just can't but you have to love it for trying...

    ReplyDelete
  3. There's a car in the parking lot at the lab that has a German flag flying from the antenna.

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!