Monday, June 14, 2010

What European Countries Are Americans Naming Their Children After?

8 comments
Onward with the name weirdness. In the hearts and minds of Americans, all European countries AREN'T equal, if what Americans name their children is any indication. (That despite plenty of "In Europe..." commentary that seems to insinuate it's all the same.)

Among babies born in 2009, here's the name tally! Data is only available if 5 or more babies had the name.

Georgia: 968 girls (maybe it's cheating to include this one)
Ireland: 8 boys, 340 girls - plus Irelan, 6 girls; Irelyn, 131 girls; Irelynd, 14 girls; Irelynn, 105 girls
Holland: 25 boys, 135 girls - there are also Hollin and Hollyn, but I can't tell if those are riffs off of Holland or Holly
Italy: 54 girls - plus Italee, 7 girls; Itali, 9 girls; Italie, 5 girls
Scotland: 11 boys, 5 girls - plus Scottland, 8 boys, Scotlyn, 28 girls; Scotlynn, 7 girls - there are also boys named Scottlyn and Scottlynn, but I'll assume those are plays on Scott, not Scotland
Germany: 5 boys, 9 girls - plus Germani, 11 girls***
Cyprus: 10 boys
England: 9 girls
Iceland: 5 girls - plus Icelynn, 5 girls

Albania, Andorra, Armenia, Austria, Azerbaijan, Belarus, Belgium, Bosnia & Herzegovina, Czech Republic, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Hungary, Kazakhstan, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Luxembourg, Macedonia, Malta, Moldova, Monaco, Montenegro, Norway, Poland, Portugal, Romania, Russia, San Marino, Serbia, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Turkey, Ukraine: none or fewer than 5

***Edited to add: I missed some. There were also 26 girls named Jermani and 7 named Jermany.

8 comments:

  1. Really? That's weird. I've known kids to be named after European cities, but not countries. Germany? Italy? That's just mean.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Remember the car commercial where two kids are sitting in the backseat and one turns to mom and says, mama, why am I named Paris, and Mom says, because, honey, that's where you were conceived. To which Paris says, so why is Savannah named Savannah? and then it pans out to show the car is a Savannah and Mom gets a sly smile? God help the kids named after their country of conception (which is, after all, the only reason I could imagine someone naming their kid Germany.... I like this country, but damn if that isn't mean. I can already hear the nicknames....)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really? No one went with Kazakhstan or San Marino?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ouch, just reading those alternate spellings was painful.

    In honor of the captcha, I'm hereby naming my next kid Besusedi.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can't imagine naming your kid Germany, but I do know of a little girl named Holland.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I definitely forsee Germany getting called "germy". Then again I knew a few Jeremys who got called that too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'd rather be named after a country than an adjective or non-proper noun. I mean, think how much "Precious" or "Apple" would be teased.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jermani sounds so klassy. I had no comment until I saw the addendum.

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!