Monday, February 01, 2010

Map of European Alcohol Habits

9 comments
I got a kick out of these maps featured yesterday on Strange Maps. The first is a little too simplified, but I like the second, which shows Germany's wine regions, and indicates that this country is not all beer, beer, beer! People are always asking us about German beer, and to be honest, I know pretty much nothing about it (though my husband has done some..."research"). I take the wine just about any time.

In other news, I'm trying to buy plane tickets for a slightly complicated itinerary back to the US in May - flying to Des Moines on the way there, and flying back from Chicago. Does anyone know a way I can force a search to consider non-stop flights on just one leg of the trip? I can't force non-stop for the whole itinerary because on the way to Des Moines there is no such thing - but it's showing me one-stop itineraries both ways - never giving me non-stop flights between Chicago and Frankfurt. Which I know exist. Some itineraries even put you on a little baby-jet for a leg between Chicago and Boston! WTH? I hate flying with the fiery passion of a bajillion trillion suns, so one less flight is something I'm willing to pay a certain amount to get....

9 comments:

  1. We're with you on the wine. Yummy! I went to a wine tasting the other night from a vineyard in the Mosel region (he came here) and it was FANTASTIC. He even brought some red ice wine (which I had never heard of) that retails for 199 Euro a bottle. It was delicious (but 199 Euros?) and we enjoyed everything he brought. We've (Mr. HH and I) been busy wit Italian wines, but I think the Germans don't get enough credit for their excellent wines.
    I don't know anything about how to run the search engine. You should check out http://www.usdtravel.com/nav/default.asp They can do the search for you and you don't have to be military to use them, though they do cater to the military. They have fantastic rates.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think Expedia lets you choose # stops. But... des Moines? Might not be possible. I'm just saying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the link, MIHH! I'm having trouble with the multi-city search because it gives three lines and I only need 2 - but if I only fill it two it gives me an errors. Odd!

    Honeypiehorse - I don't expect to fly non-stop FRA to DSM. I just want to fly non-stop on the return trip from ORD to FRA. (The return trip does not include DSM.) But it doesn't allow me to search for non-stop flights because the FRA-DSM leg cannot be non-stop, so it goes directly to one-stop searching for both legs. Maybe I have to call in for something so complicated.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah ha....searching on united.com by 'schedule + price' allows you to do the legs separately...and now I see I have a choice between non-stop on united, or one stop and getting a Lufthansa plane for the overnight. Ouch! Lufthansa is so much nicer than United....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Amen on the German wine. Although I was a beer hater (unless VERY drunk) before we moved over and I have been converted, I still really enjoy German wine and I don't think German vintners get nearly enough credit.

    Have you searched on Kayak.com? Because they have a bunch of fiddly little knobs by which you can refine the search after you've put in the basics (from, to, when, how many). If you know that you can't get to Des Moines non-stop - for which I sympathize, same deal with KC - you might have to break up the trip into two one-way searches (into the U.S. and out) to get your non-stop from ORD to FRA. Then, if you can't get the combination of flights you want to come up online, call and harass someone at the airline. Sometimes, things are possible with a real person that you can't get to work solely online. At least, that's what I'd do.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Have you tried skyscanner.net? I believe what you are purposing works on that site. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh yeah, we are surrounded by wineries in Pfalz and Hessen. It's not just beer beer beer, like you've said. We have some great Wines out here.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I always have a hard time finding flights like that. I usually end up calling the airlines. Good luck and cool maps!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've been using International Travel Consultants for decades and highly recommend them. They've consistently beaten prices I've found online. If anyone can figure out how to get your nonstops on one leg of your trip, they probably can. The owner (Gabriele Williams) is German, for what it's worth.

    http://internationaltvlonline.com/

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!