Thursday, December 03, 2009

Best of 2009: Trip

4 comments
Inspired yet again by the awesome No Apathy Allowed, I'm joining in on Gwen Bell's Best of 2009 series. I started 2009 with a very ominous feeling that I can't really explain. The number just struck me as bad, and it didn't help that a friend we spent New Year's with had the same feeling. True to that, a lot of crap happened in 2009. I lost my remaining two grandparents, was sick more than normal, and it was the first year I never set foot in Iowa. So, I would really like to take this opportunity to look back on the best things in the year with a few prompts so I don't get distracted back to the bad stuff. :) I have a little catch-up to do, as I don't want to skip the December 1 prompt, best trip!!

Best Trip of 2009: Scotland!
Runner-up: Stockholm


What I've learned in travelling is that nothing makes me relax more than being able to wander into a teeny tiny town that doesn't get a lot of tourism, where the cafe sells things that are really sweet and really cheap, and be able to communicate immediately* with everyone in my native language. No way would I ever limit my travel to experiences like this, but man are they rejuvenating, like going home while still being somewhere new and exciting.

Stockholm is an easy second place. So friendly, so beautiful.

*Okay, some accents were not easy. But they were still English, beloved English.

4 comments:

  1. Both are on my list! I hope 2010 will be a better year all around!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, I chose Scotland for my Best of 2009 trip too! We visited friends living in Falkland, and took side trips to St. Andrews and Edinburgh too. Although I loved the English-speakingness of the trip, it was dang near impossible for Daniel to understand a word any Scottish person said. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, great shot!

    I dug our Edinburgh trip but really want to to more places like, well, where you took this picture.

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!