Thursday, June 25, 2009

So, uh, Heidelberg...

6 comments
...what's up with the bright green lighting on the tower of the Heiliggeistkirche? It's been up for a while now - is it temporary? Was it a mistake? Because it looks really goofy. We thought the Old Bridge's new lighting was too cheesed up, but this would take the cake. This photo doesn't even do the goofiness justice (it's that green thing that appears to be to the right of the castle):


The weather has been really cruddy this week, but on the upside, it caused a rainbow today in Heidelberg while I was walking along the river! I took a photo on my cell phone, but I can't figure out how to get it on my computer or if that's even possible with my phone/phone plan. As I held up my phone to take it (I always think people look like they're doing something really ritualistic holding up camera phones like that) a guy whizzing by on his bike yelled at me to take a picture of the rainbow. I couldn't tell if he was mocking me because that's clearly what I was already doing, or if maybe he really was thinking I might not have seen it and was just taking a picture of all the nice hills.

In other news, my coworker remarked to me last week that she gets "only 20 days of vacation a year" (this is in addition to all the German public holidays). Hahaha! Oh, Europe.

6 comments:

  1. I have a friend who tend to post on his "status" that he need some vacation, then he say something, going to Maroco or something like that...and then when he get back to work first thing he put out is... wish I could still be on vacation. HATE work!!
    Yeah! That the European for you!
    ;-) SHould be in Heidelberg the second week of July! Hope it will cool a bit. We have had 105 without the heat index today!! HOT HOT HOT!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish I got 20 days of vacation a year! I only get 16 and that includes my sick days. And we only have 10 holidays/year. *sigh*

    Oh and we saw the rainbow the other day as well :)

    I was ecstatic today about the sun and warm weather. I'm not gonna lie...I definitely sat in the car for a few minutes with the engine off and the windows up just to bask in the hot feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounded very condescending: "OH EUROPE". Seems you haven't learned a thing yet.

    Disappointedly, Yours.



    >In other news, my coworker remarked >to me last week that she gets "only >20 days of vacation a year" (this is >in addition to all the German public >holidays). Hahaha! Oh, Europe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne: I agree with your friend, hehe ;) It's not as hot here, thankfully!!

    Sarah: It's definitely nice to get some sun now and again!

    Anon: What? You are obviously pretty clueless about me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Explanation of the goofy green light: http://www.art-ort.net/artort009/index.htm

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Nina!! You are totally our hero for saying it's just art and not permanent :)

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!