Sunday, January 04, 2009

The Music Post, 2008

3 comments
I'm a little late on the Music Post this year.

Last year I shared my favorites from 2007, both German and non-German, and then threw in a retrospective of favorites from the previous ten years too. This year I think I'll stick with just my favorites which were released in 2008, as that's self-indulgent enough as it is, eh? Unfortunately I don't think I ended up with any big German favorites this year, so it's hard to keep this topical to the blog this time, except to say I guess I am mostly preferring non-German music at the moment.

The music embedding I used last year, imeem, still doesn't seem to have caught on. I didn't really want to go with youtube because they take up so much space and because I don't really care if there is video, but it seems to be something everyone is more comfortable with, so I will go with that anyway. So, disclaimer, I don't know anything about the videos and some of them are just junk to go in the background so the song can be shared. Just ignore the pictures and listen. :) The genres I give are just a general guide and/or warning if you hate particular genres.

Best of 2008!

Jukebox the Ghost (American, pop) - Under My Skin


The Presets (Australian, electronic) - Kicking & Screaming

"My People" is another good one on this album.

Animal Collective (American, pop?) - Water Curses


Passion Pit (American, pop/electronic?) - Sleepyhead


The Dodos (American, pop) - Fools


Fleet Foxes (American, folk) - Mykonos


Paavoharju (Finnish, experimental?) - Kev├Ątrumpu


Pop Levi (British, pop) - Never Never Love


Portishead (British, electronic?) - We Carry On


Daedelus (American, electronic) - Hrs:Mins:Secs


Ratatat (American, electronic?) - Imperials


Santogold (American, pop?) - L.E.S. Artistes (XXXChange Remix)


TV on the Radio (American, rock) - Golden Age

I'm not sure if this is really my favorite from the album - "Family Tree" and "Lover's Day" were also in contention - but I love the dancing cops in this video, so I went with it!

Vampire Weekend (American, pop) - The Kids Don't Stand a Chance

That's the actual recording, but I recommend watching the Blogotheque version, which is awesome (just like about everything on Blogotheque):


I couldn't get a video for any Simon Bookish - but he had a great album this year. Hercules and Love Affair's "Blind" is great, but the video is so awful I couldn't include it (I couldn't find one without the official video).

Please share some of your favorites from 2008! I'm always looking for some new stuff to listen to.

3 comments:

  1. Some great tunes there! I hadn't heard of any of the bands, so thanks for the introduction. I haven't had enough quality time to listen to much new music, so sadly can't recommend any new stuff myself!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a fun list!

    This year I've been listening to Matthew Santos, who does this great folkish, soulful indie rock. His entire debut album is on YouTube. I was also surprised by how much I loved She & Him's album; Sentimental Heart is probably my favorite song.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Christina: If one person finds one new thing they like I'm happy. So thanks, I'm happy. :)

    K.Rae: I'll have to check out Matthew Santos! My favorite from She & Him was "I Was Made For You". :)

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!