Tuesday, November 11, 2008

American Food Party!

10 comments
We had a small party on Saturday to celebrate my birthday (a little belated) and the end of the torturous election season. I'd been saving up some of the American foods people sent or brought me for just such an occasion. The notice was a little late for all the social butterflies in my life, but the party was still big enough to devour almost everything! And, it was the perfect size party to revive an old high school favorite, the card game Spoons (now with alcohol!) - and to revive an old Boston love of mine, Dance Dance Revolution!

The recipes are very everyday Midwest:

Corn Stuff (aka Scalloped Corn...but it doesn't seem to fit)

1 can corn (sent by my mother-in-law - you can probably find it in Germany though)
1 can creamed corn (sent by my mother-in-law)
1 box Jiffy corn muffin mix (brought by my sister)
3 eggs
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup sour cream (used the saure Sahne - could have gone with creme fraiche, which in some ways is more like American sour cream)
1/2 cup butter, cut up in pieces
4 tbsp. chopped onion

Mix all the ingredients together and pour in a 2 quart casserole dish or 9x12" pan. (My sister sent a 9x12" to me, but there is a German size that is just a little bit larger that could work.) Bake at 350'F (175'C) for 45 minutes or until done. It takes a little longer if you use a deeper 2-qt dish.

Fudge Recipe from the Fluff Company

For this one, my sister had sent me Fluff, but I heard through the grapevine that you can find it at Karstadt in Viernheim. I got the evaporated milk at the Piccadilly English Shop, but you can also usually get it at the Asian market. A college friend brought me American vanilla extract, but I would have subbed in the vanilla stuff they sell in a bottle here if she hadn't, even though it isn't the same. Another college friend stocked me up on chocolate chips when she visited. I do need more of those though, they are almost always involved when I decide to make something for a party!

Jello Pudding Pie

I woke up one day a little while back with an intense craving for a graham cracker crust, and that same day my sister was looking for ideas of stuff to send over. So, she sent a graham cracker crust (it survived the mail surprisingly well) and two boxes of chocolate Jello pudding mix. I just followed the instructions on the box for pie and got some Schlagsahne for the top! (No, it wasn't as delicious as the totally bad-for-you non-dairy stuff you can get in the US.)

We also had mixes for spinach dip and garlic spread from my Dad's wife and we made both of those. The dip called for mayo and sour cream. This time I subbed in creme fraiche for the sour cream, and I got mayo from the English shop again, because I didn't want to risk the potential disaster of subbing in German mayo again! I got crackers for the spread at the English store - a party mix - but I wasn't that impressed with them. There weren't very many and a lot were broken. Some of them were cookies instead of crackers, even though the box said they were to have with cheese. I miss my Pepperidge Farm party variety mix!

All in all, totally unhealthy midwestern food that your average healthy Bostonian would be loathe to even touch, but it always goes over really well here and everyone thinks it's exotic! :)

10 comments:

  1. Sounds great, I am envious!
    Any idea where to get American dill pickles (hamburger dills)? There are thousands of varieties of pickles here, but they are all varying degrees of sweet.
    I stoked up on Cheetos and Candy Corn this time in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome. I totally would have eaten all that. I like the corn recipe. You can get canned corn here, but creamed corn seems to be an unknown entity. I wonder if one could just give regular corn a whiz in the blender?

    I bought a 1 kg package of Hershe's Chipits chocolate chips on holiday and (ahem) have already eaten a fair amount without even making cookies. Bad, bad me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmm, sounds tasty! I know I've seen regular canned corn in the supermarkets here (Edeka, Kaufland, Real). I've even seen creamed corn once or twice in the China Laden, of all places. And the best sour cream I've found is called Schmand. It tastes right like the Saure Sahne, but it's thick like the Crème Fraîche.

    But no joy on the pickles, vailian. I don't eat them, so I don't know if they can be acquired here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Snooker: I'll email you next time and you can hop on the Sprinter down here. :)

    Vailian: Hmm, I'm not sure! I actually prefer the German pickles to dill ones...heh. The only place I can think of to try is the American food section at a really big store, if you have anything like that where you are.

    Christina: Good question re: creamed corn! I never even thought about what it is exactly...is there anything added to it, or is it really just blended?

    Mike B: Thanks! :)

    Sarah: I wish some of those stores were really close to us! I know where there's a Kaufland but it's a ways out. I'll have to look at the Asian shop for creamed corn! Those places really are full of good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hah. We have the same type of parties here in Jindo. It's impossible to get western/American food here in Jindo (and difficult in the rest of the country), and so we occasionally pool what we have sent from family and friends overseas, and have a party.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi there. sounds like you are also in heidelberg - we are expats who moved from Philadelphia to Heidelberg in January 2008. Having read some of your blogs, I know that I have struggled with some of the same recipe substituations that you have. Here is what I have discovered.... You can get Hellman's mayo at the Rewe in Dossenhiem. You might be able to get it elsewhere, but I know they have it there. It is in the international section - which also contains some other American items like Fluff - I would be happier with chocolate chips, but I guess should be happy with what we can find. I have also discovered that you can make a pretty good graham cracker crust using the Leibenz cookies. Hope that helps.
    Pam

    ReplyDelete
  7. Pam, thanks for the tips!! I've never been to the Rewe in Dossenheim, but it should be pretty easy to get to on the Strassenbahn, right? I wish the Rewe in the Bismarckplatz had a section like that! What are you doing in HD? :)

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!