Saturday, May 10, 2008

More on Isolation

6 comments
There doesn't seem to be any substitute for people who know - really, really know - where you're coming from.

I'm afraid now I'm at a point where I have diversified my life so much that the person who really knows where I'm coming from has become an extremely rare thing, and maybe doesn't even exist. I share a little bit with a LOT of people, but who do I share almost everything with? Anyone?

Does this happen to everyone at a certain age due to their accumulated experiences? Did I make it worse by moving here? Or am I just being immature by thinking that no one can relate?

We all try so hard to be individuals and different from everyone else, but when you really get there - to the point where you really don't fit in anywhere anymore - you kind of wish you could just simplify your life by belonging to a group and having your decisions essentially made for you by the group's norms and peer pressure. Of course, if that was really happening, I wouldn't really want that either.

Argh.

6 comments:

  1. YES! I *totally* get this and think about it almost every day, but I don't know if there's a solution. If you do find one, please let me know. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Christina said it. We're all looking for the solution :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am not sure I will ever 'belong' anywhere again and it troubles me. But as you pointed out, I would not have been content to just kind of chill with the herd for my whole life, so the responsibility for my situation is with me. Sometimes I absolutely love the way I have lived my life, soemtimes I am lonely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think I get it ... isn't it fun being "exotic" though?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mike: Sure! I like the freedom that comes with being a foreigner. I'm not going to really fit in anyway, so I can really do my own thing and people will just chalk it up to me being foreign. I've always done my own thing anyway, but I feel less...guilt? ...or something...for doing it here. So yeah, I think being exotic is cool. But when you're on your own, you're on your own, and it's not positive in every aspect. Just many. :)

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!