Sunday, May 27, 2007

We finally went to Schwetzingen.

7 comments
Continuing on the same theme as Ladenburg, everyone has been telling us to visit Schwetzingen since we arrived here. And, we just kept not getting around to it, visiting all the things a little further out all the time and never making it to the things right next door. Today, we finally went to Schwetzingen.

From Heidelberg, there are several ways of getting there, but the easiest one is a bus that picks up once per hour (on Sundays - probably more often on other days) at the bus stop on the west side of the Hauptbahnhof. However, beware the bus driver. It was only a 20-30 minute ride, but I've never felt so motion-sick in my life. Unfortunately it was the same driver on the way back, too!

Schwetzingen has a couple of main attractions: its castle and the castle garden, and its asparagus - especially at this time of year. There was even a sculpture commemorating asparagus in the plaza near the castle, as well as several market stands selling various produce, but mostly asparagus. Little signs everywhere advertised fresh asparagus. Spargelzeit (aspargus season) is at its height right now.

We spent a couple of hours wandering around the castle gardens, which are really extensive. We hadn't heard much about the inside of the castle itself so we skipped that. Admission just to the gardens was 4 EUR each - although I never saw anyone check a ticket and I think we could have just walked right in! The gardens include a bathhouse (you must wear slippers to go in), a myriad of fountains and ponds, fake Roman ruins, and a little mosque. I don't think we even saw it all in two hours. The weather wavered between sunny and actually raining - but I was glad it wasn't as hot as the last few days. (I'm a wuss in the heat.) Check out the photos below!

Schwetzingen Mai 07

7 comments:

  1. everyone here is freaking out about asparagus too... one of the pizza joints has a special spargelpizza! i'm totally slipping in and out of using the english word and the german word and it's not even intentional. spargel is so fun to say! i heard white spargel is the best. they grow it under boxes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. we're quite close. we will have to add schwetzingen to our list of places to visit. thanks for the tip.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, if you are tired of Spargel (I sure am), you can visit the little brewery across from the Palace, which houses a Block House steakhouse.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's a great picture of you and D.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sara: Spargel definitely beats asparagus. Most of it here is white and it's grown under dirt mounds! I thought I'd posted about that but I guess not...I just read it on so many other blogs that I started to think I had written about it!!

    Ann: If you're close it's definitely worth it!

    Mike: haha, thanks for the tip! I can't stomach any more sticks of Spargel, though I can still handle soup with it...

    Mary: Thanks! It's just one of the set-the-timer-and-run-and-see-what-happens variety!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm just bummed I won't make it to Heidelberg this weekend to see the annual firework display over the castle... but the next time I'm in the area I'll have to check out Schwetzingen too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Eurotrippen, thanks for the reminder about the fireworks!! We have to remember to stick around this weekend! :)

    ReplyDelete

I love commenters!